Saturday, May 15, 2010

Home Fashion: Chair Dilemmas

I have two rather problematic chairs in my little Upper West Side, New York apartment.  Both present a huge home fashion emergency.  Comments and suggestions are GLADLY welcome in my attempt at making my apartment more fashion friendly on a budget.

If you have similar furniture issues, maybe my ideas can help!

The 1st Horror: A modern brown pleather armless swivel chair
The problem: The fabric has been torn to shreds by my darling kitty cat
Potential Solution:  Re-upholster using a fun and modern floral pattern in two colors.
While black and white can fit fashionably just about anywhere, I really love the mustard yellow color with the other colors in my apartment.


The 2nd Horror: A beautifully crafted chair form the 1850's, Denmark
The Problem:  Hideous 20 something year old grandma-style fabric that has been faded by the sun

Potential Solution:  Painted fabric.  Not a common solution, but perhaps an awesome one (Suggestion was originally made by my extremely talented aunt Leigh Ann).
The first image is more traditional but beautiful, and I love the faux finish on the wood.  The second is not my favorite design, but the technique and general idea is probably pretty close to the method I will use.  I love the whimsical and funky chairs of Tuffet Lady, who produced the chair in the third image.  

For more info on Tuffet Lady's fashion furniture click here: http://www.tuffetlady.com

I will update with photos when I get my act together to making my fashion emergency chairs more beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Fashion?